Sunday, November 4, 2007

Shift Happens - my hopes, dreams and fears for the future

I was really moved by Shift Happens "Did you Know 2.0". I knew there was a great deal of change happening in the world but hadn't seen it presented in this way.

My hopes for the networking industry is the world continues to rely more heavily on social networking, collaboration, and virtual presence. I hope that Cisco can continue to stay at the forefront of the industry. I hope that service providers become innovation engines that allow them to profitably serve the market.

I hope that I can continue to innovate and develop my skills and capabilities to stay competitive in this market. My fears include being displaced by younger workers with stronger skills in newer technologies. I also fear that America will lose many service jobs to India as it has lost its manufacturing base to China.

My hopes, dreams, and fears for society, my family and me include:

Hopes
* Education for all
* Higher standard of living
* Greater respect for human rights and the environment
* My children will make the right choices in a world of open information and choice

Dreams
* Harness technology and intellectual capital to cure cancer
* Build bridges between cultures
* Eliminate war through economic interdepence & appreciation of different cultures

Fears
* Will my children have the skills to compete in new world?
* Will they have the same or better quality of life?
* Will they be safe in a world with all information available on the net?

No comments: